Wednesday, August 14, 2013

back to the ordinary


It's weird, but after vacations, I usually struggle with the blues for a couple day. I love looking forward to things and hate when they end. I am addicted to anticipation. Always have been. When I was a kid, we used to go to Kennywood amusement park one day each summer. I would always be exhausted on that day because I could never sleep the night before. I'd lie awake picturing myself darting from ride to ride, sailing on the spinning airplanes: my favorite and eating Kentucky Fried chicken for lunch. That was a rare treat, but we would stop every time on the way for a bucket, then head out to our station wagon at noon to eat it with watermelon slices and bottles of coke for lunch.


So, now I am remembering time on the beach. My youngest daughter Kelly and her boyfriend came too. What a treat. Unfortunately, my other daughter was too far away in Brazil to make it. But I will get to see her for five hours on August 29th on her way back to California, so there's that.


Yesterday, I got some veins pulled out of my leg, and another shut down with a laser. It was about as much fun as a root canal, but there was a silver lining. My two friends Carolyn, otherwise known as Carolyn and other Carolyn, took me and we had fun chatting and laughing, especially right after the procedure, when I was high on Valium. Life is like this stairwell. It twists and turns. We never know what will be next, but if we look up and hope, there is always beauty and light no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the kentucky fried chicken too and playing that game with the ball

    ReplyDelete