Monday, September 1, 2014

crazy for the girl


I love beauty. I am dedicated to my blog. That said, sometimes one needs to refuel and refill. This is my excuse for the dearth of posts these past few months. This summer, QG and I went on a vacation with daughter number two Kelly and her boyfriend David, traveling throughout Boston, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Amazing. Blissful. Delightful. Every moment of our trip was golden.

Have I mentioned we had a good time? We even got to spend a night in the home of  my college roommate, Margie, and her family. Perfect. Love that girl. Margie is a national treasure: a beautiful person who came into my life at a critical time when I was eighteen and completely clueless. Margie gave me the idea that good grades could be a worthwhile goal. Crazy, but before this amazing sweetie (aka, Margie) came into my life, I thought that "C" grades were perfectly acceptable. But Margie was all about getting straight "A's." Makes sense, considering she is now a college professor. Up to when I met Margie, I had not been exposed to much except the hairdressers at my mom's small-town beauty shop, where I'd worked since seventh grade, the fast-food workers at Wendy's, where I also worked, and my family: folks who regarded a "C" grade as just fine, no questions asked. Not that there is anything wrong with a "C" if it reflects your best work. In high school, too disengaged to care, I slid by with whatever grades I could get with with no effort.  Enter Marjorie, who rocked my world with her kick-a_ _ 4.0 and her curious habit of always doing her best.

Whaaat? I thought. Straight "A's?" I had not, heretofore, considered such a thing. But this crazy, lovable girl, who I lived with starting half-way through my freshman year at Penn State University, got all A's and, by gum, considering that she could do it and, moreover, seemed to thrive on the excitement of learning, I suddenly and radically decided that I could, too. And I did. More or less. Nobody's perfect. Margie changed my life. Plain and simple. She introduced me to a new way of thinking. Besides that, she was funny. We laughed a lot. She washed all my laundry once when I ran out of clean clothes. She sang and played Dan Fogelberg tunes on her guitar. How cool. I am still thankful. Life is a journey. I would be nothing without the people I have met, and come to cherish and learn from, along the way. Like my adorable college roomie, Margie.



2 comments:

  1. Makes me want to get to know her too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what Melanie Holmes said! I was a dyed-in-the-wool Fogelberg fan, myself. As always, LOVELY photos!

    ReplyDelete