Thursday, May 7, 2015

snatching heaven


What is the purpose of a blog? For months, I have been struggling to decide the fate of this blog. Who knows? I have decided to embrace uncertainty and to continue posting when I can snatch the time, without holding myself to any deadlines. In this life, beauty and mystery are often paired.

A few weeks ago, I went to the Texas hill country for four days with my amazing tribe of photography ladies. Five strong, we have dubbed ourselves "The Shuttertrippers." A few days before our trip, I was in Pennsylvania, saying goodbye to an angel named Connie: a dear lady who came to live with my sisters, mom, and me when I was two. Connie helped to raise my sisters and me, living with us for ten years: cooking all of our meals, holding down the fort, and keeping us sane. All three sisters were there as Connie drew her last breath. We will miss her. To say the least.

Along a random country road on the photography trip, shuttertripper Laura spied an old house with a porch leading into a field of bluebonnets. Brakes squealed and tires skidded as Laura shouted, "Yeeeoooowwwzzzzaaaaa... ssssttooooooop!"

How like heaven, I thought, emerging from the car, camera in hand. I could not tear myself away from the scene above and stayed there the duration of our stop, snapping shot after shot as if trying to capture a shadow. In my mind's eye, Connie was wandering among the flowers as she stepped into eternity only days before. When I get to heaven, there will be bluebonnets. And so many faces to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment