Wednesday, April 1, 2015

celebrate National Poetry Month


I've been away a while. I took a breather to do many home projects and editing jobs. All the while, I have been continuing to write poems. My favorite kind to write these days are listing poems. Something about making a list of word is so calming, so satisfying. Like a prayer, words trip from my brain and drip onto the page clearing room for new thoughts. Seems its the same way with feelings. In order to make room for happy thoughts, I must release negative feelings, no matter how justified they seem. I must let go and allow myself to fall into the peace of being, into God's loving hands. Letting go of anything is hard. Guess that's why it has taken me two full years to unclutter my house. Meditation helps with this. So does the habit of listing three things to be grateful for at the end of each day. The older I get, the more I apprehend the fluidity of life, which is frightening and exciting at the same time.

Enjoy this special National Poetry Month! Challenge yourself to write a poem each day, if only a listing poem of random words from your brain to see what happens, to see what space those words open up or what thoughts they jostle loose. Enjoy!

Circuitry


Simple
and
light,
buoyant
and
tight,
free,
breezy,
gazing
about,
hum,
sing,
jiggle,

and
shout.

       -2015Kimberly Laustsen

No comments:

Post a Comment