Friday, January 17, 2014

the Vegetarian Stew recipe


Here's a recipe for a vegetarian stew. It was inspired by a recipe I read recently, only I changed a few ingredients to what I had on hand, altered the proportions, threw in the spices, added the apple, and deleted the chicken. I guess cooking is like science and so many other arenas: we stand on the shoulders of those who came before. Anyhow, this conglomeration turned out pretty good, which isn't always the case with my culinary experiments, so I thought I'd share it with you. It is fast, easy to make, and warms the tummy nicely on a winter evening.

Hearty Vegetarian Stew

½ large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1½ teaspoons dried parsley
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
1½ teaspoons dried basil
5 cups vegetable broth
½ pound small potatoes, thinly sliced (I used a mixture of red, yellow and purple)
1- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Half of a small cabbage, core removed and sliced paper thin
1 apple, cored and sliced
Shredded mozzarella cheese


Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil on medium-high heat until translucent add the spices and mix to coat. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 45 minutes. Top with the cheese and serve with crusty bread. Makes about 4 servings. Enjoy!

2 comments: