Thursday, February 20, 2014

cutie cake, round one


My cake invention was not a rousing success. I liked it, but I tend to like everything. Other reviews were mixed, so, obviously, it needs refinement. The idea was to boil up these cuties and put the cooked clementines and their liquid in a blender, then use that in place of butter. I figured the skins would provide some oil and there is not much white pith on these to make it too bitter. I added some olive oil, but should have put some water in and perhaps a tad more olive oil. Anyhow, it was intensely citrus in flavor and rather light in texture. The Cutie Cake recipe:

Start by boiling 7 cuties is a small amount of water, covered so that it steams until soft throughout. Cool, then pulse in blender until thick and smooth.

Mix 1 yellow cake box mix, 2/3 cup of the cutie mash, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, and 3 eggs. Beat 4 minutes, then put into a greased and floured rectangular cake pan, bake as directed on cake mix package. When done, poke holes all over top of cake with a chopstick. 

Mix 1/2 cup each of water, cutie mash and sugar and bring to a boil, then simmer a few minutes until sugar is dissolved. Pour this over the top of the cake. That's it. Enjoy. I plan to tweak this recipe some more, because I think it has a lot of potential to be a healthier version of birthday cake. Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement.

My sister sent me these flowers yesterday - what a fun surprise! Thanks, Lisa.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes applesauce is used instead of oil or butter, but you had probably already considered that. I'm sure it will eventually turn out to be fabulous, because you are a great cook! mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I am glad you liked the flowers - they are pretty - sorry the cake didn't turn out so good -it sounds good!!!

    ReplyDelete