Friday, June 22, 2012

215 calorie salmon lettuce fold over

This week, at lunchtimes, I've found myself pulled into a lettuce-fold-over vortex. I am not very loyal to salads. One week they're great, the next week, I am sick of them and find delight elsewhere, and the next week, I'm back to salads. Luckily, I am not so easily bored when it comes to people. Quiet Guy has been my numero uno since 1979, when we met in the Penn State dining hall. We bonded over the taco dogs.
Anyhow, today, at the gym, I invented the best lettuce fold over ever. It was all because of our yoga teacher: the General Patton of yogis. She had us lunging from upside down one-legged stands to humble warrior to boat pose to sit-ups in record time, and that was just the warm up. At one point, we had to do sets of insane one-footed pushups. That's when yogi Patton chose to saunter around the room checking our form. How convenient for her. The class started at eleven, by which time my six-thirty breakfast  was long forgotten. I was rumbly in the tumbly, as Pooh would have said, and the harder she worked us, the hungrier I got. I spent the last half of class focused on lunch; what did I have at home that could be thrown together fast, yet taste good? Voila, the salmon lettuce fold over was born. Yum. Thank you, yogi Ruth. The class was a killer, and my body hurts, but I thank you.

Here's the recipe. Also, this baby, whilst being delectable, nutritious, and filling, has only 215 calories. You will want to try it, as this kind of dietary bargain does not come along every day. This recipe makes two generous servings.
First, assemble a six ounce can of wild-caught, boneless, skinless Alaskan salmon, low fat Hellman's mayonaise, a jar of bread and butter sliced pickles, a package of Boar's Head horseradish cheddar cheese (or regular cheddar if you prefer),salt, pepper, and several clean dry large lettuce leaves.
Mix the salmon with 4 Tablespoons low fat mayo, 1 teaspoon pickle juice, 5 chopped pickle slices, and salt and pepper to taste.
Layer a few lettuce leaves, with the round top portion at either end of the stack, so it will be oval-ish in shape.
Scoop half of the salmon mixture down the center, slice about four thin slices of the cheese, and layer that on, then top with a row of the pickle slices.
Repeat this for the other serving, or save the rest for tomorrow. Fold up the lettuce sides, like you would a taco, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment