Tuesday, April 30, 2013

chopped, yet philosophical about it


I write this listening to Hawaiian music (have I mentioned how happy that makes me?) and sipping a G&T. Yeah. Yay! It's been that kind of day. But all is good now.

Here's what's interesting. On Friday, at my therapeutic massage appointment, Kate (a genius) goes at one point...."Aaah there it goes. Your joint is now back in." Amazing. She was so right. She managed to wrestle my errant SI joint back where it belonged. End of pain. Just like that. I love that gal.

So, immediately, I start not-so-slowly breaking back into yoga, swimming, and walking. I can't help it. I like to do things. Which leads us to today's issue. I met my buddy Bernie to walk at 8 am, then zoomed to the gym for a swim. The pool gym is ever so close to Goodwill. Who wouldn't? I got a cool belt, a Coldwater Creek red quilted jacket and a pair of shorts. Schweet.

This stop got me home later than expected. While hurriedly throwing together a stew for the crock pot, and chopping onions, I forgot about my thumb. Oy. Not good. Yes. Clear to the bone. Have I mentioned that, as a child, my nickname was scab due to my general clumsiness? I was rarely without a few scabs, in various stages of healing, up till age thirteen. Today I was brave enough to look at the hideous thumb. That's progress. I called my doctor to describe the ugly knob, and she recommended I immediately head to the nearest hospital or Care Now.

Care Now was amazing, so fast and un-busy (if you are holding stock, dump it now). The best part was I only got steri-strips, not stitches, and a prescription for antibiotics. No big deal. Yay!

My point, and I do have one, is never, ever rush when you are wielding a sharp knife. It will not end well. Trust me. Peace. Relax. Enjoy the chopping process. Everything else can wait. Namaste.



5 comments:

  1. hehe nice one. hope it gets better soon. The only real stitches I have had was when I was a teen and was so MAD at my mom that I slammed a glass down when I was emptying the dishwasher. I got a mere three stitches but the nerves were damaged and I started dialing the rotary phone (remember those things?) with my middle finger cause it was my right one. SO if there was still such a thing as a rotary phone I would probably still use my middle finger (not a metaphor) Ask my mom, but she probably doesn't remember it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy. Yours sounds bad. So, I guess that even the coolest moms and daughters are not immune from bad juju, especially during the teenage years. Oh the joys. The Care Now clinic called me Thursday to check how it was. I said fine, as far as I knew, but I didn't plan on taking off the bandage any time soon. They said I had to actually look at it to make sure it wasn't infected or anything. Really? Ugh. Having the cut is no big deal, except for having to look at it. But eventually I peeked and it looked fine. I could never be a nurse or doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so refreshing to read your stories, poems, recipes, etc. I am caught up now.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! I find that I start accidentally cutting/hurting my fingers when I'm stressed out about something, and I end up with more than one at a time, usually. Never THAT bad, though. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your SI joint is fixed!

    ReplyDelete