Sunday, July 7, 2013

seven memoirs to read



I love to climb inside of a good memoir. Sometimes, I get so transfixed, I think I'm that person experiencing their life and I have a hard time sliding back into my own skin once the book ends. I love that. What an adventure. My favorite memoirs are those about regular, non-famous people. I have many favorites, but today, I'll share a few gems, including my top pick.

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller is about her childhood in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, where she moved to from England with her parents when when was a baby, in 1966. She tells the story straight out, as if she were talking to a friend, which is brave, as this is the story of a family with plenty of foibles in a country filled with many textures and layers. I love her honesty and humor no matter what.

Nothing to Do but Stay by Carrie Young is such a gem I refuse to lend it out because it is so hard to find. I can't believe this book was not a best seller. It is the story of her mother (okay, this one is not technically a memoir, but a biography... so sue me) who, at age 25 in 1904 endeavors to stake a claim on the windy North Dakota prairie: no small task and the beginning of the family farm where she raises six children. The stories in the book show just how life was back then and how this amazing woman carved out her life. Should be required reading in schools.

Little Britches by Ralph Moody is the first in an eight book series that tells the author's life. This one starts in 1906, when Ralph was eight and the family moved from New Hampshire to Colorado to become ranchers. Ralph does a great job of describing life then, with all of the hard work, hard times and family bonds, my favorite of which is his relationship with his mom. This is expanded in Mary Emma and company, my favorite in this series, but you will want to read them in order. Love them all.

Tender at the Bone is the first of Ruth Reichl's memoirs, covering her childhood through early adolescence. Ruth humorously recounts so many scenes which lead up to her interest in cooking and food, such as the time her mother gave an entire party of guests food poisoning. This book is told with sensitivity and describes tons of interesting people besides Ruth who you come to feel is your BFF by the time you finish the book. Ruth and I are still close.

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel is almost my favorite memoir, and the sequel, She Got up off the Couch is even better, which is unusual. Oh my lordie, Haven cracks me up, but sometimes she makes me cry. What else could you want in a memoir, I ask you? The book is about her quirky family and townsfolk the a small Indiana town of Mooreland with lots of details and honest telling. The best thing is that, if you come from a crazy-ish family, when you read this book, you will feel that your family is normal. Gotta love that.

Life is So Good by George Dawson and Richard Glubman tells the life story of George, who learned to read when he was ninety eight and wrote the book at age 103. George was the grandson of a slave and he tells the story of his life with honesty, humor, and great zest for life. When I grow up, I want to be just like George. He was an amazing man and I learned so much from him.

A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas is my all-time favorite memoir. This gal did not start writing till she was in her late forties, but her style is stellar. The book starts on the night her beloved second husband suffers a traumatic brain injury. We get to find out little things about her life: her knitting, visits to her husband, dog acquisitions, socks, relationship with her purse, random encounters with people, etc. I think she is heroic in this book because she is so honest and I love hearing about what she thinks about. Abigail is my hero and buddy and I like how she doesn't editorialize or opine, but just tells you what is going on so you can learn from her experiences. This book reads like poetry.




2 comments:

  1. Well, I've read three of them -- Life, Zippy, and Tender....
    I must check out the others.mm

    ReplyDelete