Friday, June 28, 2013

learning to chill


The problem with taking hundreds of pictures every week is that, eventually, your computer gets full. I hate that, as I am traditionally not good with technology nor disruption to my comfortably established routines. I like to know what to expect at all times, though life does not always cooperate.

So yesterday, my photoshop program started going haywire, dropping functions and freezing. Normally this would send me into a stomach-churning panic. But here's the thing. I decided not to panic. This is related to something I've been pondering lately after hanging out with my daughter Lauren for a week.

She is headed off to Brazil for the summer to investigate starting a company there. She does not know if it will succeed. She is not exactly sure what she will find, despite the carefully laid business plan she and her partners have drafted, but she is learning Portuguese and going down there to check it out. The reason she is doing this is, she says, is how else will she learn, how else will she be able to test things out and grow without challenging herself. Dang, that girl knows a lot more than I do. So I decided that I need to be cool with challenges, because they are kind of exciting opportunities, if you think about them correctly. This is a major shift for me. I guess no matter how old you get, the important thing is to stay open and keep learning.

So, I deleted a bunch of photos and figured out how to get my watermark back. Next I need to devise  a solid storage system, with proper back-up, for my bursting portfolio and to learn even more about photoshop. Working on that now. You can probably hear the rusty gears in my brain creaking. Keep learning and chilling and figuring things out as you go through calm waters or rough. And Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment