Sunday, June 16, 2013

that's my girl


I made it to California, though not on my original flight, which was supposed to go to San Francisco. The flight Gods would never let me off that easy. For the third trip in a row now, my first flight got aborted. This episode was the most exciting, though. Just as we were careening down the runway at top speed, about to lift off, the plane lurched to a hurkey-jerky stop. I knew it was too good to be true when we seemed to be taking off on schedule. That doesn't happen in my world. Apparently, our plane's speedometer was broken and the darn pilot refused to drive it in that condition. While waiting for an alleged replacement plane to materialize, I managed to get myself onto a separate flight to San Jose a couple of hours later. I finally know the way. 



I love California. Also, I love hanging out with my daughter, Lauren and her friends. We ate Burmese food the first night (a first for me): fantastic, especially the tea leaf salad. Shopped a little, played Boggle, then it was midnight. 



Yesterday featured a hike, a yard sale, a champagne party, and Lauren's graduation from Stanford GSB. She got her MBA. She is so my idol. She is so amazing. I'll admit, I may be slightly biased, but, still, the gal is the definition of amazing We then went into San Fransisco for a fancy dinner at Fleur De Lis. Amazing food, amazing cocktails, fun conversation.



My favorite part of the lengthy graduation was people watching. Fascinating outfits, and lots of uber-enthusiastic folks straining to get photos of their graduates. Joe Biden was there to see his niece graduate, and (sorry for the obnoxious name-dropping... hey, it's not everyday you get within a couple yards of the VP, so, naturally, I had to dish) I really enjoyed watching all the secret service dudes lurk about in their dark shades, crew cuts, and blue jackets. Those are some extremely alert and jittery folks. 




1 comment: