Tuesday, December 3, 2013

appalling, yet thrilling


Happy December! I love this month because it means looking forward to Christmas, being all cozy inside when it is cold outside, baking cookies and hitting up whatever holiday parties I can shoehorn my way into. Since I am hosting my pokeno group tomorrow, I was forced to decorate today. I tried to keep it simple due to time constraints and my newly-acquired nearly-Zen-like minimalism. But Santa had other ideas. Or should I say Santas? A posse of those jolly fellows have hijacked my living room. Each one is adorable, right down to his little plastic or wooden heart. Pictures tomorrow if I have time.

Speaking of pictures, yesterday was my second photojournalism class. Most of our time was spent looking at everyone's photos from our first assignment and discussing them. Okay, I'll admit it - I flubbed the assignment. I panicked in my rush to get the shots before the sun went down, got confused about aperture settings, had to use a tripod, which was awkward, and chose the wrong lens. All of my pictures were out of focus. Every single one. Aargh! After the instructor got done telling everyone else what a good job they had done, he looks at me and goes, "You may want to repeat the assignment." After that, he examined my camera to make sure my automatic focus was working properly. It was.  

Yes, I'll repeat the assignment. And I think I've got the aperture thing down now that I've been scared straight. On one hand, I'm pretty appalled by my own ineptitude, but on the other, I'm strangely excited about how much there is yet to learn. I can study photography for years with no chance of boredom. And I plan to. Cha-ching! Aaah, the benefits of being a slow learner.


1 comment: