Sunday, April 1, 2012

celebrate poetry


Happy first day of National Poetry Month! Poetry means more to me than a lot of other things. It has helped me to get through hard times, to celebrate good times, and to figure out what I think. I guess, in a way, poetry is the way that I process thoughts when common logical words-in-a-line won't do. Sounds crazy, but this process changes my brain and heart. Oh, and mostly, it is just fun. Try it. Just sit down and see what words show up on the page. That's the best way to do it: without preconception or judgement. So, I went outside this morning and wrote a poem. Here it is.


Green

How lovely that nature
greens us come April.
The grass, the trees,
the shrubbery.
See how the live things
fearlessly reach.

The hosta
planted last summer
disappeared come fall,
like a guest too polite
to overstay. I doubted
his constancy, plotting
what to plant instead.

But last Monday,
I saw him, arms already
tall and quivering.
Quivering as if to shout,
I am here. I am here!

I could only nod,
thinking, indeed.
There is a wisdom
beyond Man. Beyond
words. And well
beyond my unbelief.








1 comment: