Tuesday, April 24, 2012

make art




Have I told you how much I love my writing desk? It's an old thing I picked up twenty years ago. A white enamel table. It was missing the drawer, so I got QG to put a sliding tray in the drawer space to house my computer. It works perfectly. I can slide it under the table when I just want the desk. I decoupaged a bunch of picture book illustrations on the top. This desk is my little corner of the world. Everyone needs a corner to call their own.

     This seems random, but back after the accident, when I was in the rehab joint, all I could think about was getting home to paint. Watercolors in particular. The thought of painting kept me going, not that I'd ever painted much before, nor do I consider myself particularly talented. No matter. As soon as I was ambulatory, I got to Hobby Lobby to get me some paints and brushes. Now I love to paint.

Mr. Bumbles
Lately, I've been into doing these abstract types of things, then seeing what characters emerge to draw in over top. 
Silly, but oddly fulfilling. Creative expression is what I'd be hard pressed to do without. So I encourage you to make art. Art of any kind, just for the fun of it.

Aimless

The bee hovers above a
lemon blossom, juts to the one
above, now below, now beside.
He is jittery. He can’t decide until boom,
he is zapped by an invisible lasso
and pulled in to drink. How
like bees we humans are.
                   -Kimberly Laustsen




No comments:

Post a Comment