Sunday, April 22, 2012

eat, read, see


So, here is the recipe I promised. It is a healthy salad dressing, which is tangy and bright. Since I eat a lot of salad, I'm always looking for new dressings.



Here's one I've come up with which is not too caloric. Zesty Dressing: Take 2/3 cups cider vinegar, add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar,
1/2 cup oil (olive or canola), 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 small or 1/2 large onion (grated),
and 1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar. Put this into a clean glass jar, shake well to dissolve sugar and salt. If you use olive oil, and keep it in the fridge, it's best to measure out your salad portion, and microwave it for 10-15 seconds before eating it, as the olive oil gets clumpy. Heating it a tad actually enhances the flavor.

For the salad in this picture, I used organic spinach, organic mixed greens, sliced avocado, red pepper,

onion, chopped hard boiled egg, white cheddar cheese cubes, sunflower seeds, and sliced tomatoes and radishes.
 Try it, you'll like it!


Now, as it is still April, a poem written today. Sometimes poems, once written, seem ordinary. That's okay. It's the writing process, the thinking on paper, that is the magical part. That's where you learn the most. It is similar to cleaning out a closet. You analyze what's in your mind, deciding what to keep, and what needs to be chucked. You tidy up the place. I bet if they did a study, they'd find that writing a poem a day is even better than crosswords for maintaining mental acuity. That's my theory anyhow. It's worth a try.

The In Between

Lord, let me live
in the in between,
ever searching,
ever learning,
ever reaching
for your grace.
When I’m weak and
let down, hold me.
Carry me, your lamb.
Then release me 
to run. Searching,
seeking, if only
to fall again.
Don’t let me drift,
Lord, but into
your mysterious.
As my wings unfurl,
give me rise.
For I want to see
beyond the blue
to the violet,
the indigo,
the red, the yellow,
and every color
in between until
the day I land.
      -Kimberly Laustsen

Went to a great tour of homes today: The White Rock Home Tour here in the Dallas area. You couldn't take pictures of the homes, but they did let me photograph outside. See below & above.






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and poem. I love living in the in-between too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Syd. Miss you. See you soon1

    ReplyDelete