Tuesday, April 3, 2012

eggs & such

The egg dying experiment of yesterday turned out... eeh. So-so at best. I love the idea of using natural items for the dye, but need to gather more ingredients and do more testing.



Next time, I'm going to try dying cloth for scarves. Perhaps with all manner of green plants. Though the eggs were not spectacular in color, photographing the eggs was amazingly fun.

For the dyes, I boiled a handful of rose petals  (with a tablespoon or so of white vinegar and a cup of water, which was the same for each) for one, orange trumpet vine blossoms mixed with ground turmeric for another, ajuga flowers for another, and coffee grounds for the final.



I cooled the liquids, then put the hard boiled eggs into it overnight to color them.

The turmeric took best, the ajuga turned out a subtle greenish blue (no doubt due to leaves that got mixed in), the rose hardly colored, and the coffee turned the egg light beige.


If you try this, and you plan to eat the eggs, don't use poisonous plants, as a bit may leech through.


 Blindly

Who has written
what it says
in my heart?

Who decides the
length or strength
of my steps?

Who knows which
breath will be
my last, which
will be deep or
pantingly shallow?

How is tomorrow
transformed into
yesterday… is it
plotted, planned,
held in somebody’s
hand?

As dust motes float
then find rest, Lord
lead me gently
to the place where I’ll
fall. And not till I’m
ready, that is all.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, luba. The key photos turned out excellent. Perhaps when I get my new camera, we can do a shoot at your place. You have so many items which beg to be captured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    The eggs are beautiful! I especially love the tumeric ones, and the photography is fabulous. Above all, your poem is wonderful. You excel at everything you attempt. Nice job.
    Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Can't wait to hang out next week, Chickadee.

      Delete
  3. I really love the egg colors and the the poem is lovely.

    ReplyDelete