Friday, August 17, 2012

craft day - bookmarks!

Yesterday was craft day here. The reason: we finally got our foundation work done. It was so disconcerting. While I was sitting in the living room, the jolting, twisting and loud drilling right below me made me feel as if I were on a carnival ride - not what you want to experience from your own couch.
I had to be here all day to periodically let the workers in, so I decided it was a good day to start making some Christmas gifts as I couldn't do anything which required too much concentration. I had to focus on being ready to flee when the wall fell in. So I made bookmarks, figuring who doesn't like a handcrafted placeholder? Also, they're easy to send in a card. Here is how to make them:
First, a word about materials. I started with thick woven ribbon (TWR), or webbing type stuff. You can buy this at craft of fabric stores, but here is a little secret, especially if you like vintage material, like the trim popular in the '60's and '70's. Head to your local thrift shop. A lot of times, you can buy a cheap item, especially if it is torn or beat, just for the trim. Also, estate sales are good places to find the stuff.
Of these I made, I got the red with multi-color strips off of a skirt, which I got for a buck at a local thrift shop. The blue and cream colored strip was from an estate sale - it was two dollars, but it was a huge roll, so I still have lots left. The buttons were also collected from yard sales and estate sales. As with trim, it is sometimes worth buying a blouse just for the vintage buttons.
For the bookmarks, gather some TWR/webbing, assorted buttons and trim, embroidery floss, whatever other embellishments you happen to have or can make, like beads or crocheted flowers.
Cut the webbing the length you want the bookmark to be, and fringe one or both ends. To ensure it won't fray, you can stitch across the top of fringe, or sew on a row of ribbon or rickrack. You could also turn under the top edge and sew down.

Now, you just get creative and sew on whatever designs or embellishments you think looks good. You could also stitch a design, or the recipient's initials. The sky is the limit on how bedazzled you can get with this. Stash your creations away for the holidays, or send one to a friend who is having a rough patch, as bookmarks = hugs when you have made them yourself for a special friend.


PS. I am kind of a bookmark freak. I collected a lot working at a library for 15 years (yes, I occasionally raided the lost and found when things were about to get pitched), and from travels and friends over the years. My most exciting find was when I bought a book at a library used book sale, and found a James Avery silver bookmark tucked inside. Here is my collection.

4 comments:

  1. Rest assured, Kathy and Michelle. The James Avery silver bookmark was not the one you gave me, as I still have it. I also have the hand-made one from Kim and treasure them both. All your designs are beautiful. Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marion. Some of the ones in my collection are from you, but I don't know if you could pick them out. Miss ya.

      Delete
  2. Kim,

    Again, a beautiful idea. Thanks. Think I'll try it. Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I want to see your creation when you're done! Have a good one.

      Delete