Saturday, August 18, 2012

picture day

This morning I just had to take pictures. I needed to hear that snap, snap snap as I zeroed in on something beautiful or interesting. 
First I hit my yard - not too much happening there.
Next, I sauntered to the house behind - ah - some real beauties growing around their fence.
Next, came Mumsey's yard, next door. This yard always has something interesting going on. While I was snapping the sunflowers in front of the house and, yes, trespassing onto their lawn, I noticed some cardinals kicking up a ruckus in the bushes just below their dining room windows. Huh? I thought hopefully, what is this? I detected a sound, which I took to be the voices of baby birds. Two birds, the parents I assumed, were frantically swooping in and out of the bushes chirping wildly.
What could I do? I am curious. Curious is my middle name. I scooted up close to the bushes. Not close enough. I popped around to the side and shimmied my way between the house and the bushes, straining to see into the branches. I leaned as far in as I could without positively rolling in the leaves, but it still wasn't close enough to find the nest. I ran back around to the front and started crawling up under the branches on my hands and knees, directly below the window. I was jolted out of my trance by a deep voice, "Did you find it?" I scrambled out to see Mumsey's twenty-four-year-old grandson Anthony leaning over me.
I bolted upright, attempting to appear not insane. "I'm so sorry. I think there's a bird's nest in there, and I'm trying to get a picture of the babies. I promise I am not spying on your family." Oh my gosh.

Luckily, I know Anthony as, when he was in high school, he volunteered at the library where I worked, often helping me with projects. He held up his hands, palms facing me, "Its all right, no worries, help yourself." He said, slowly backing away into the house. I decided this was a good time to call a halt to today's photo session, even though I did not get any pictures of the birds. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment