Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DAMN good work


Oh my gosh, guys, I am so loving the classes. Yesterday I was slightly bummed because I couldn't load my new photos taken in raw, and I used a tripod for the first time, and I couldn't get the instructional CD to play on my computer, so basically I was a dummy. Today I am a tiny bit smarter. I found out the CD is defective, and my computer was not set right to load those pics, which just goes to show that every problem has a solution if you can manage to stay calm.
So, anyhow, about the classes. My teacher is the best. I have the same gal for both classes. She is even older than me, and is also a former accountant, and is finishing up a full degree in photography and graphic design. To say that she is enthusiastic about taking pictures would be like saying Texas is a little bit warm in the summer. This gal is in love with her photography and it is so contagious. Also, she is soooo encouraging. 


However, the best thing about her, besides how cool and hipster she is, is her vocabulary. I heart her vocabulary, and spend half of the class writing down her quotable quotes so I don't forget them. Like, last week, we were learning how to whiten teeth and some folks did not have any people photos among the ones they brought to class, so she said to go to google pics and "find somebody with a jacked-up grill" and use that picture to work on. A less interesting teacher might have told us to find someone with dingy teeth. Jacked-up grills beat dingy teeth any day in my book. 




Also, one lady brought a picture of her daughter, who had recently been a flower girl in a wedding, and the photographer was so artsy in this photo, the only one he took of the girl, he cut off her head entirely, so it was only knee to neck. The lady was steaming mad about it, since he took none of the girl's face. That's the kind of photo our instructor likes to take, which is why she does not do weddings, as she explained, "For weddings, you have to give the people what they want, and people don't wanna see headless children."
Here's one more: "You're here to do good work. I want you to do good work. I want you to do DAMN good work." yeah, Vernetta, that's what I want too. Thanks for helping to make it possible.Good teachers rock!



No comments:

Post a Comment