Tuesday, November 13, 2012

questions on black and white


The older I get, the more I disbelieve in in black and white. Some things are certain. I will die. I was born. Some things are a matter of faith. I believe in heaven. I believe in kindness. I believe in grace. I believe that Jesus was the coolest homeless person that ever lived. He was a guy with no stones to throw. That's all I know. There is room enough in my heart for everybody, no matter what they believe. 

I had a cousin who was disowned because he loved boys instead of girls. He died of AIDS over fifteen years ago and most of those years I was looking for him. He melted away and nobody could tell me where he'd gone. When I was little, we were best friends. We lived together. We spent our time catching chameleons and building houses for them. We played bouncy ball for hours. Some days, I have to run my fingers over the picture of him in my mind. I don't want to loose that boy who was kind to chameleons and every living thing. 

The more I know, the more I don't know. What is black, what is white, and who gets to decide?



2 comments:

  1. It is ironic that you wrote about Ronnie today because yesterday was Greg's birthday. Remember cleaning the shop and singing "taking care of Vincent"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. I remember Vincent, and lots and lots of hair to sweep up, and Ronnie mopping the floors each week with Mop 'n Glow. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete