Friday, November 9, 2012

pears 'n grace



Here's a simple, tasty recipe I came up with for cooked pears. You can eat this as a side dish, or over ice cream for dessert, or over plain yogurt with granola sprinkled on top for breakfast. Here's how to make it:
Ginger Vanilla Pears

Gather 6 Bosc pears, 1/2 of a medium-sized lemon or lime, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup white wine (I used Riesling).



Peel the pears, cut into slices, removing the core. Put into a deep saucepan and squeeze the lemon or lime over top. Stir then add the ginger, salt, water, and wine. If you prefer not to add the wine, use 3/4 cups water instead. Cover. Bring to boil on the stove, then turn down heat to simmer until pears are soft, but not mushy, about 25 minutes, give or take. Add the vanilla in the last few minutes of cooking. You may want to take off the lid for the last 10 minutes to boil off some of the liquid if there is more liquid than you want. Enjoy!



On another note, something really freaky happened yesterday. It has to do with the poem called Feather, which I posted on Wednesday. I wrote the poem that morning when the image came into my head, and I felt I just had to write it all out as a poem. I don't know where the idea came from. I'd never heard it from any source.


Then, yesterday, I stopped into Half Price Books to pick up The Autobiography of a Yogi, which I've been wanting to read, and of course, I had to check out the sale rack. I start scanning and this title  popped out at me sending a weird quickening straight to my heart. Of course I bought it. Hey, it was only a buck and when God talks, I listen. It must be that. What else could it be after I'd just had that total image the day before of me as a feather being blown by God's breath. I can't wait to read it. I'll report back. I'm so thankful for the magical days thrown in amongst the chaos. They come to all of us now and then. Keep watching. Keep listening for those days.


No comments:

Post a Comment