Friday, December 14, 2012

quote day


Here's an E.B.White quote that I love:

"We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry."

This quote helps me. I adore E.B. and revere his skills and insights, so if he said it, hey... that's good enough for me. One only needs to read Charlotte's Web to see what a genius he was.

Secondly, I generally enjoy doing mundane things the most, like organizing closets, ironing shirts, watching bugs, photographing food or toys, and making up recipes. I like to hear E.B. tell me that's okay. I guess growing up, I was always made to feel that in order to be accepted I had to be sacrificing in some way, like babysitting for free, tutoring my mean cousin, being cheerful about moving a million times or working for a buck an hour at my mom's beauty shop. I never really got to think about what I actually wanted to do. Maybe a lot of kids have that experience. 

Anyhow, I like E.B.'s sentiment. It summarizes what I've been learning this past year. So, maybe I'm not out saving the world. I do have clean laundry and tidy closets. More than that, I can't help thinking that God gives each person desires and talents that are unique to that person. He makes each of us to be exactly as we are and He loves us that way. There is a reason I am obsessed with flower petals, uncluttering, words, and my camera Agnes. I don't know what that reason is. But God does.

Thirdly, E.B.'s quote is cheerful and whimsical. And who couldn't use a little more of those right now?

As to the salad picture up top, do you see that tiny chunk of bread beside the tomato? That is my latest salad discovery. You cut stale bread into tiny cubes, and sprinkle them on your salad along with some Gorgonzola cheese and cherry tomatoes. Then you mix in some of this dressing, or something similar. The bread carries delightful pockets of flavor dancing into your mouth. And with the cheese, a perfect combo.

2 comments:

  1. The salad looks delicious -- so you don't have to toast the bread cubes? mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but it is slightly stale and firm to begin with. It is the bread I make- the recipe is on here a few months back. Now that the weather is cooler, I have been making a lot of it. Try it!

    ReplyDelete