Saturday, May 25, 2013

after the rain


Last night, it stormed, which was the good news and the bad news. Jamie the wonder dog is afraid of storms. Not only thunder storms. On the Jamie scale of terror, even strong winds qualify as "a storm". So, even though I had to sleep all night with my hand hanging off of the bed to rest on her shaking frame, and even though she popped up every hour or so to pant heavily into my nostrils (reminding me of how negligent I've been about brushing her teeth lately), I am thankful for the rain we got last night.

After a stormy night, I love nothing better than getting up early to walk out into cool the backyard, coffee in hand, to smell the musty scents, see the shimmering orbs of water dotting the rose leaves, and listen to the birds talk. The colors outside, from the kale-green blades of grass to the mahogany-colored damp tree trunks, are at their richest on a wet spring morning.

After I finished my schooner of coffee and could, thus, think and function properly, I grabbed Agnes, my camera, for a spot of fun. Poor old girl has not seen as much action as usual lately because I've been working a lot, drat that, but she hasn't complained a bit. What a peach. Here are a couple of shots from our outing. More tomorrow! 

Enjoy this Memorial Day weekend. I'll be spending some time reflecting on the men and woman who have served in our Armed Forces and have sacrificed their lives to defend and protect our country over our long history. With deepest respect and gratitude, I'll be thinking about the contributions and sacrifices those brave soldiers have made for our benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment