Friday, November 8, 2013

beautiful strangers


QG and I had a cool experience in Dubrovnik, Coatia on Halloween day. After a two-hour jaunt atop the entire wall of this walled city peering out over low, frail railings to huge drop offs which could kill one were one to stubble walking across the narrow uneven cobblestone behind said inadequate railings, we flung ourselves back down the dozens of steps into the storybook-like city in search of refreshment. In other words: it was lunchtime and we had worked up an appetite. We asked a local shopkeeper where he typically lunched (always a good idea). and were directed to an obscure establishment called Konoba Pup on a random side street.


Oh my Lordie, talk about good eatin'. But I get ahead of myself. So we wander over to the restaurant and are frantically perusing the posted menu trying to figure out if we have enough kuna, the Croatian currency, to get lunch, as we are doubting if the place takes charge cards. It is a close call whether the kunas we have will feed us, and we are literally tallying up what we will order to see if we can eat there. My brow may have been furrowed in concentration. I'll admit that.

So this dude with long hair held back by a brown plastic headband exactly like the ones I used to wear in fifth grade ambles up to us, hands clasped behind his back, to inquire if he could help us. QG pipes up,"Aaahhh, we were wondering whether you accept charge cards."

The dude looks stern. He steps closer, within a few inches of QG's eyes, raising his right hand with a flourish. "Yes we do, but only if you abide by my rule."

We wait, open mouthed, for his next words, but he stops and stares at us, smiling. "What rule?" we say in unison.

"You must not be so serious. That is not good. You must relax, smile and enjoy. Life is too short to be stressed or worried. For now, you enjoy."

I could tell the dude was not being flippant or trite. He was a man on a mission. So we sat down to enjoy the meal of our lives. Every savory bite packed with flavor. I got the Dubrovnik style chicken, which included tender potatoes and a sauce laced with smoky pork and herbs. QG got a spicy chicken cacciatori which was heaven on a plate.

Throughout the meal, our buddy and server, who I think was actually the owner, chatted with us exposing his philosophy of enjoying life. I mean, this guy was truly trying to teach me something, I could feel his sense of urgency, and I was all ears, because I know I can be too serious and over-think things, even though I try not to. By the end of the meal, I asked if I could take his photo so I could always remember his philosophy. He reluctantly agreed, but only if it was of us both, so here is the shot.

After that, he revealed that he'd been in the Croatian war in the nineties, and it had changed him. When he finally got to return home from the fighting, he realized how precious life is and that that every moment is meant to be enjoyed while you can. This dude is a beautiful person. I truly will always remember him, and can honestly say that he has significantly impacted my life. Interesting how important beautiful strangers can be to one's life's course.


2 comments:

  1. Wow that is so cool- we have to savor life and enjoy spending time with those we love- which is why I am so looking forward to my time you and with Karen in Pa.

    ReplyDelete