Thursday, September 6, 2012

citrus almond sugar scrub recipe

HEY. You lookin' at me? Random pup at the park today.
Sugar scrub day is here. This recipe started with my friend Carolyn Vega, or Carolyn V. as I call her. She is one of my four friends named Carolyn, not that I have a billion friends. I only have one Melanie, for example, and no Marie, but I seem to attract Carolyns like a magnet collects iron filings. Anyhow, Carolyn V. has been experimenting with scrubs and last week, on her birthday, she presented some friends (including moi) with a gift. I think she has the whole b-day/present thing backwards, but who am I to argue? Her gift was a batch of her own sugar scrub creation. It is fantastic: patchouli, which I love. When I was young  back before the wheel was invented, I used to buy patchouli oil at Spencer's gifts in Florida. Those were the days. C.V.'s sugar scrub brought me back to those carefree times. She even included her recipe with the gift. 
Pigeons contemplating life's meaning. 
I have adapted her recipe for a citrus almond version, adding a bit of shower gel as scrubs sometimes leave me too greasy whereby I need to lather up afterwards, thus washing off all the oil. The shower gel addition is my attempt to get just the right amount of moisture (let's call it dew-kissed) without making you feel as if you have just been in a contest to wrestle an oiled watermelon out of the deep end of a pool. Yes, they have such contests here in Texas. Been there, done that. Sadly, I have never been the one to emerge triumphant with the watermelon. Then again, I've never been drowned in the process, a victory of sorts. So here is the recipe for this seriously tremendous scrub. It smells good enough to eat. But don't. Scrub it on for skin soft as a baby's cheek. 
Gather some oranges, lemons, almond oil, vitamin E oil (though you could probably omit this if you don't want to buy it just for this... on the other hand, it makes a good heel and cuticle softner), sugar, citrus or plain shower gel, tangarine or orange essential oil, and raw almonds.
First, with a fine grater, grate the peel off of an equal number of oranges and lemons. For one recipe, about two of each should be enough. Set the peels in the sun to dry, or on the counter if you do not have access to a sunny yard.Next, measure 1/4 cup of raw almonds. Chop then finely in a coffee grinder or food processor.
Into a glass bowl, measure 1 cup of sugar. Add the 1/4 cup ground almonds, 1 heaping Tablespoon of the dried citrus rinds, 1/4 cup almond oil, 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil, 2 Tablespoons citrus or plain shower gel, and several drops (to your liking as far as strength) citrus-scented oil. Mix well. Boom, done. You can put this into small plastic or metal containers. I save and clean face lotion containers for uses like this. You can also find some pretty schweet containers at the dollar store. Rub this scrub into your wet skin, then rinse for a magical sheen. Be careful to rinse your feet well so you don't slip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment