Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hawaii, thrifting, botched recipe: my random life


 Today, I've been packing and cleaning. Why, you ask? Tomorrow we are heading to Hawaii. We are going to photograph the flowers and to swim in the ocean and to celebrate Quiet Guy's and my thirtieth anniversary. Yes. We are that old. I am taking you along in the form of Agnes and my computer. I want to be able to load my photos each day to organize them and make notes, so I figured I might as well blog about our adventures. I am planning to hit a few thrift shops, which QG is not too thrilled about. He says nobody goes to Hawaii for the thrift shops. Aah, maybe not many people, but somebody does. I am too curious about those thrift shops as they seem so exotic. I know that sounds pitiful. What can I say? I appreciate the ordinary.  QG should be thankful I am such a cheap date - a thrift shop find and a bottle of cheap wine are my idea of a special occasion.
The frantic cleaning is because some friends are staying here to watch Jamie while we are gone. I am super happy about that because now that she is up in years, the Jamester cannot handle more that a night or two of being boarded before she gets depressed, meaning stomach issues. Not pretty. Now she will be thrilled to spend her days on top of our bed while we are gone. 
She spends about 99.9% of her time there right in the middle where she can look out the window to keep tabs on when her frienemy Pele walks past, so she can growl at him. 

Here are my recent thrifting finds. Two items only, but what can ya do? This super plush Gap Body hoodie was only $2.50 at Goodwill. It is soft as buttah. It is dreamy. It is my destiny. I may just have a wee sweatshirt addiction. They are so so cozy. The bulletin board (shown with 2 recent-ish finds) was $3.99. It is the sturdy old kind. I can relate to that. I've been wanting a b-board for ages, as I have a pile of inspiring ideas and pictures waiting to be hung up. I'll set it all up once we're back. 
I've been resorting to taping important snippets to a framed picture behind my desk, which is lame. The new board will be much prettier and will have lots more stuff.
Last thing, I had a failed recipe experiment this morning. Now I know how Edison felt with his botched attempts before he got electricity down. 
My idea was to invent a lemon and a lime candy of some sort to give as gifts. I tried slicing each fruit to bake with sugar and herbs for some sort of candied slice things, but it ended up sticky and blechky tasting. 
I salvaged the slices to freeze and float in cocktails next time we have some friends over for a drink, so it wasn't a total wash. I have refined my idea now, though, and will try for version two after we get back from Hawaii with our tans and our rested selves. I'm determined to keep at it till I have some delicious citrus candies. And you, my friend, will get the recipe.



1 comment:

  1. I hope you and Russ have a great time in Hawaii on your third trip there. You are so blessed to be happily married for thirty years. I can understand your wanting to look in the thrift stores -- are you taking an extra suitcase, or I guess you could have things mailed.
    Bon Voyage!
    Love, Mert

    ReplyDelete