Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hawaii days 3&4



Hey, y'all. I am ready to move to Hawaii to become a professional sea glass finder. There is an area right down the beach from our hotel with loads of pieces to hunt. Fun.

We have been busy every second seeing sights and taking advantage of the hotel's offerings. Yesterday morning, I went to meditation class and was the only attendee. I thought it sounded interesting and it was, though I did not do a great job with the actual meditating part. I am still learning how to empty my mind. You'd think it would be easy, since there's not much rumbling around up there but a bunch of randomness, but apparently my thoughts are like couch potatoes; they like to stay put. QG and I have gone to yoga every day, which has been great. Other recent highlights include:
The Bailey House Museum in Wailuku, built in 1833, which was the home of missionary teachers George and Caroline Bailey. It has many great artifacts.








These last two are of the gift shop.

Haleakala National Park, featuring a thrilling ride up a twisted road with severe drop-offs looming an inch outside of the passenger's (that's me) window. I am not a big fan of risking my life in this manner, but took one for the team to get to the top of the volcano in order to hike and look over the edge. Aside from the drive, the place was scenic and not-to-be-missed if you like volcanos.






Ho'okipa beach:



Town of Pa'ia. Interesting. Like Portland on steroids. It would not be possible for anyone to feel out of place in this town. We stopped at this cool health food store called Mana. Curious observation: I saw four separate limpers in there, all guys, all oldish, all limping severely. Huh? We had a great fish dinner at Pa'ia Fishmarket Restaurant.


Maui Nui Botanical Gardens:








Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Botanical gardens - oh yeah. Off to do more snorkeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment