Saturday, May 12, 2012

one good thing

A while ago, I read a book on happiness. I'm really interested in happiness and also how the brain works. There are so many theories out there, and always more to learn. Anyhow, this book suggested that the simple practice of thinking and meditating on three things that went well that day when you lie down to go to sleep is an excellent way to increase well-being.
     Since I have a tendency to be a worrier/ruminator, I try to do this, only I've simplified it to one good thing, as I am in the remedial class. This practice has proven to be a good idea, so I am passing it along to you, my friend.
     The good thing you conjure up does not need to be profound, though it could be. You are in complete control here. It could be as simple as the frozen custard you got to enjoy that day, or the Blue Jay you watched, a luminous sunset, the smile somebody tossed in your direction, or the fact that you finally got up the courage to say no to something you did not really want to do. Once you decide on your thing, then spend a little time reflecting on why it went well. What lead up to it? Re-live the experience mentally. Intentionally open your heart to more such adventures in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment