Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Orange Fennel Salad recipe

I have just discovered fennel. It is a beautiful thing. I bought a bulb of it because my buddy Tammilynne, who is of Sicilian Italian heritage, indicated to me that her uncle Santo used to make spaghetti with fennel leaves for Friday night dinners during Lent. Since I made pasta for her and others last Friday night, this being Lent, I felt compelled to get a fennel bulb, to preserve her heritage if nothing else. Up till then, I'd never bought a fennel bulb. How foolish.

I used the delicate leaves for the pasta, but the bulb was still hanging around this afternoon. I seemed to remember something about fennel and orange being a good combo. I had regular oranges and cuties on hand, so I mixed up this simple salad recipe, which made a perfect lunch. Seriously. You have to try it. It's both delish and nutrish. How exciting to discover a new taste sensation at my age. Just goes to show life is full of adventures. Who knew fennel bulbs were so dang good? Here's how to make the salad:

Orange Fennel Salad

One fennel bulb, the size of your average fist
1 teaspoon sugar
1 orange
1 mandarin orange, or 1/2 regular orange
1/4 cup raw pistachio nuts
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Take fennel bulb, cut it into quarters, slice off the thick core in the middle, then thinly slice the layers. Cut peel and pith away from the orange, thinly slice it, then chop those into quarters and mix with fennel. Squeeze the juice from the mandarin, or 1/2 orange, onto the salad. Sprinkle sugar and nuts over the top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Don't skimp on pepper, as it adds a nice zing to contrast with the sweetness. Mix well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment