Wednesday, February 27, 2013

thrifting day


Last Saturday was a high holy day in the Dallas thrifting community: half price clothes, purses, belts, and shoes at Goodwill. Naturally, I was there. 


I headed to my favorite Goodwill in Lewisville, arriving a few minutes before ten, when they supposedly opened. The parking lot was full, and the store was already in full swing. Soon as I got inside, about six people wheeled past me with carts completely full of shoes, which was fascinating. No way did they have time to try them on. I saw multiple folks filling their carts with any and all shoes they could grab from the bins. What the heck? A shoe phenomenon was clearly occurring the likes of which I've never encountered in twenty-five years of thrifting. Even the workers were cracking up about it. Oh well, the shoe buyers were clearly having a good time. That's the important thing. Though I'm still curious what's happening with all those randomly-sized shoes. Note to self: next time, ask. I never get shoes there, except once I found a new pair of Uggs for my daughter. They were too small, so she sold them on ebay for $90.00, which was schweet, as I'd gotten them for $3.99. 


Here's what I came away with. Three purses: one Fossil bag for $1.99, a Vera Bradley for the same price, and an adorable Brighton over-the-shoulder bag for $5. Even though I've been massively uncluttering lately, I have a purse thing which cannot be denied. I can't pass up a deal. Oh...oh,oh I also got a Longaberger basket for $1.99. Those babies are so hard to find, you basically have to catch the salesclerk putting it on the shelf and take it from her before she sets it down. Which I did. After asking politely. This one is about 12 inches by 5 inches and even had the little plastic insert thingie. 


Lastly, I got another heavy clay lidded pot to bake bread in. I already have one, but sometimes need to make two loaves... bingo, now I can bake both at the same time, thus saving energy. Don't you just love green living? 





2 comments: