Friday, September 13, 2013

7 days, 7 dinners, day 1: baked chicken


Lately, I've been into making un-fussy dinners that are all about enjoying whole foods prepared simply. It is so fun to create something which can please and nourish at the same time. I get inspired hearing about what my friends make for dinner, and I love taking pictures of food, so I got the idea to blog for seven days in a row showing what we had for dinner the night before. Maybe you will find a recipe or combo to try. Here goes for day 1.

Last night, we had baked chicken with new potatoes and sauteed veggies. The meal could not have been easier to make. First, let me give this tip about saving energy. QG is an engineer, and he hates to waste energy, so we have this little convection oven/toaster oven combo that I take it out to the back porch to bake meals in during the summer, so as not to heat a house we are trying to air condition at the same time. It works out great. 

For the chicken, I bought a whole cut up fryer. I saved the smaller parts to make soup, but used the breasts and wings for this dinner. Wash the chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Slather some olive oil in a baking dish and put the chicken in. Now cut some new potatoes into pieces about the size of a walnut, toss those with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and place around the chicken. Bake for about 45 min. on 375, or till no pink remains, but bird is still moist.



For the veggies, I chopped up some broccoli and red peppers. Spread a little olive oil in a non-stick pan, toss in the veggies with salt and stir fry on medium heat. At halfway point, clear a spot in the pan and toss in a Tablespoon or two of sesame seeds, stir to brown, then mix in with the veggies. Toss on a Tablespoon or two of cider vinegar and honey, stir as it finishes cooking. That's it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. looks really good- can you email me the recipe for the salad dressing?

    ReplyDelete