Monday, September 9, 2013

Adventures in Architecture


This past Saturday, my main man, Quiet Guy, and I had an adventure. I read in Friday's paper that starting this month, the Winspear Opera House and the Wyly Theatre in Dallas would offer free "behind the scenes" tours from ten a.m. till noon on the first Saturday. I was on that like a duck on a June bug. Something about creeping about the inner bowels of an opera house sounded irresistible. Never mind that I've never actually seen an opera, nor been to either venue as a paying customer. 



The tour of both places took an hour. It was awesome. I am now super inspired to go to both places to see productions of some sort. 

The Windspear is luxe and tastefully opulent, whereas the Wyly is spartan, in as far as possible, and utilitarian, which provided an intriguing contrast. 

As usual, I got totally distracted by my fellow tour mates. Why is it I always find examining the people on the tour with me more entertaining than listening to the tour guide? I guess, to me, people are the most interesting thing. Look at these two couples, for example. The Hawaiian shirt couple were sooo cute together, and perfectly matched, style-wise. This picture doesn't show it, but she sported thick, cotton, neon-lime-green socks. A bold choice. They held hands the whole time. Awww.



The blue-jacket-gal and green-shirt-dude were also perfectly matched in their way. They did not make contact during the tour, but bounded along energetically side-by-side in an athletic, if slightly detached, manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment