Wednesday, September 18, 2013

7 days, 7 dinners, day 6: Italian Quesadillas


On day six of this ill-conceived dinner listing exercise, my creativity finally kicked in. Scanning the ingredients on hand, I got inspired with an idea: Italian quesadillas. Easy recipe, very tasty. Try it.



Gleanfreak's Original Italian Quesadillas 

Assemble the following ingredients:
Italian sausages, 1 per person (mild or spicy to taste)
Rectangular flat breads ( I used Lavash from Trader Joe's)
Grated mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped onion and garlic cloves
Optional: sauteed peppers or mushrooms, sliced olives.

Boil the sausages in water till done. Dice sausages. Chop onions and garlic, and saute in a tad of olive oil. On half of flat bread, spread sausage, onion and garlic, and your choice of peppers, olives and mushrooms. Sprinkle liberally with cheeses. Fold other half over the top. 

Melt a little butter in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Put a quesadilla into pan. Place heavy pan on top. When browned, flip and repeat. Slice in half, and serve with heated marinara sauce for dipping and green salad.



Also, I read a great memoir the other day: Coming Clean, by Kimberly Rae Miller. It is her story of growing up as the daughter of a hoarder (her dad). But, also, it is the story of how she thinks and how she managed to forge (or fake) an identity in the chaos which was her home growing up. The book is very well done. It gets better as you read. Once you get into the second chapter, you will be committed to reading straight through to the end. 

I am really thankful to my buddy Marion for sending this book to me after she finished it. She knows how much I love a good memoir and how fascinated I am with hoarders. Cha-ching. 


2 comments:

  1. Hoarder story: Homer and Langley by E. L. Doctorow. Really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll get it. I've heard of them, but not read the book. Thanks for the recommendation. Miss you.

      Delete