Thursday, January 3, 2013

bad news, good news

Aargh. I make a terrible sick person. Pain really frustrates me. I do not want to slow down just to prop my leg up. I feel that, having taken an entire year to recover from a horrendous car wreck two years ago, I have paid my dues and should not have to be slowed down by pain anymore as long as I do my part by exercising and striving to make healthy choices. This sounds logical, right? Oh well. As they say, Man proposes, God disposes. And I guess I'm not completely the boss of me.
Yesterday, I woke up with a totally random sore right knee, which quickly progressed to a very painful right hamstring. What the heck? I propped it up. I took Advil. I turned on the TV, which I never do in the daytime, and watched a completely horrid episode of Toddlers and Tiaras. Seriously? Do these people actually exist, or is it all a put up sham? I can't decide, but if they are for real, we should all be very afraid. We should pray. I turned off the TV, read & rested. By last night, the leg was much better. Oh good, I thought, it was a fluke and will be normal by tomorrow.


No such luck. This morning, the hamstring was killin' me. Killin' me I tell ya, to the nausea-inducing level. I even had to miss a poetry group meeting. Sad eyes. This time, while propping, I watched 2 episodes of What Not to Wear. That show inspires me. I love to see the gals gain confidence. The first episode was a mom who'd lost her husband and battled cancer in the past few years. She had 3 teenagers, who she lives for. All her clothes were several sizes too big: t-shirts, and elastic-waist pants. Poor thing. It traumatized her to actually think of buying a nice outfit for herself, as if that would be evil. She only wanted to ever buy things for her kids. By the end of the show, she learned it was okay, even necessary to be as kind to herself as she is to others. Also, by taking care of herself, she is setting a better example for her kids, because they are the ones who nominated her and they hated the fact that she was such a martyr before. So, everyone was happy when the woman started caring more about herself and gaining confidence. 

Her story is not rare. I started pondering why we women often feel guilty about caring about ourselves and taking the time and effort to buy clothing that fits us well and to get a good haircut.  
I related to the haircut part, as I only in the past few months have started treating myself to a haircut that costs over my usual $6.99 with coupon. The pricey haircut is so worth it, people. I should have done it years ago. 

If you've been holding back, go treat yourself to a quality stylist and a non-stretch-waist pair of jeans with a cheery new blouse. You deserve it. And it might save you from being submitted to be on What Not to Wear, though that wouldn't be half bad.
The good news; after more Advil, aspirin, reading, leg propping  and TV watching today, the leg is good. Fingers crossed. My theory now is that it was a pinched nerve, but I have a Dr.s appt. tomorrow to check it out. I'm sending peaceful happy thoughts your way.



2 comments:

  1. Let us know about the leg. I think you must have strained something while you were doing so much for everyone, and I hope it is perfectly OK now. Toddlers and Tiaras -- have never watched it but have seen snippets of it on other shows; I think it's child abuse. It is where Honey Boo Boo got started. Dr. MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the child abuse, no lie. The leg is so much better today. Dr. says pulled muscle & I need to drink more water, which is true. I am trying to be better about that. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete