Thursday, January 17, 2013

mag-aholic's delight


     Last September, I bought a copy of Yoga Journal, a magazine I'd never even noticed before, at the airport. One article in particular gave me such practical help on my finding calm project that I removed the subscription card and sent it in: one year for $12. I can't recommend this magazine loudly enough. Even if you're not that into yoga, the articles are wonderful and give usable, reasonable advice. Also, in all the years I've been a maga-holic, this is the first magazine I've actually read cover-to-cover.

     This month features an article on building willpower, which gives fantastic tips for making positive life changes. Here is a quote from Kelly McGonigal, "When you face a setback, try to forgive yourself and see yourself as part of the broader struggle of humanity itself. Everyone who has ever succeeded has been through this and persevered. Every success story is a failure story, too."

     How encouraging. When I make mistakes or am struggling to figure out exactly how to become some combo of professional photographer/writer/editor, while being technologically and confidence challenged, I often feel as if I'm the only clueless one and everyone else has their act together perfectly. Maybe we're all just trying to make it as best we can, and I only need to stay calm and focus on the next small step, then the next. Thanks, Yoga Journal, for giving me practical information on how to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment