Wednesday, January 16, 2013

surprises & simple pleasures


Today, I was vacuuming and decided to go crazy and take off the couch cushions to do the entire couch. I discovered a Food & Wine magazine, a pair of scissors, a bracelet and a colored pencil which must have been down there at least ten years, as I have no recollection of ever having owned it. It was quite the treasure hunt. Perhaps I should do that job more often. Makes me wonder what treasures are lurking inside the couches at thrift shops. Plenty of disgusting stuff like moldy popcorn, I'm sure, but maybe some valuable relics. Hmmm. Possible reality show: American Couch Pickers.

Once I bought a leather jacket at Goodwill and it had a sterling silver ring in the inside pocket. Also, once I bought a Levi's jean jacket there and brought it home only to discover a lovely condom in the pocket (still in the wrapper, thank goodness.) Ahhh, life is like a Goodwill jacket... you never know what surprises await.


The best surprise of the day came in the mail. It was a hand-made card from my daughter Kelly. No reason. She just wanted to say how thankful she is to have me as a mom. Awww. Really, it's not like I'm so special. I just got extremely lucky to have two such kind and amazing girls. But here's the thing, the card really got to me because it made me so very thankful that QG and I didn't croak in that horrible wreck two years ago. We so easily could have if not for God's provision. I really, really appreciate getting to be here for my girls, to see them and talk as often as possible. When I was Kelly's age my mom was already dead, so I know how it is to be just starting out in life without a mom to confide in. I'm glad she didn't have to suffer the same fate. Her card challenged me to pass it on. I have a stack of cards on my desk to write out tomorrow to some people who need to hear how much they're appreciated.


Have you ever been awakened at 2:10 am by an owl calling? That happened today. It was the coolest. I sprung into some sweats and boots and headed outside to look and listen. It was a huge owl on top of the power lines and another owl was answering from farther away than I could see. What a treat to stand there all alone listening in the cold night air.


I bought my second-ever pomegranate just because it was one of the prettiest things I'd ever seen sitting there all proud and rosy on the grocery store shelf this afternoon. The inside is amazingly stunning looking, though confusing to disassemble. Anyhow, here are a few of the pics. Natural beauty, even fruit, is so inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment