Thursday, March 28, 2013

egg crazy


I went a little crazy with eggs yesterday. It happens. Eggs are so incredibly lovely. And I bought thirty-six for three bucks. For beauty and nutritional value, that deal can't be beat.


I experimented with natural dyes. Easy peasy.


I started with three colors using 1)two beets chopped and boiled in water to cover, 2)curly kale chopped and boiled in water to cover, and 3)a couple tablespoons of turmeric boiled in about a cup and a half of water. Then I strained out the solids (saving the beets to throw into a salad) and added three tablespoons of white vinegar to each. The kale was a dud, as barely any color bleached into the water, so I ditched that vat and boiled up some loose tea instead, adding vinegar once strained.


I dunked the hard boiled eggs in each color, stirring till they got a nice shade for all of the colors, then drained them on flower frogs, or the egg carton.


The natural dye makes such soft, yet robustly colored eggs. Nature is so chocked full of enticing beauty that it is shocking. Somebody could build a whole museum just for eggs. If they do, I want to work there as an egg docent. Dream job.


2 comments: