Thursday, March 7, 2013

what the tour guide said, or Paris days 4 & 5

Quick post. Must sleep. Learning lots, mostly about what photography classes I need to take. Like lighting. Cathedrals are hard to photograph from the inside. Here's what else I've learned. The birds in Paris are so friendly they will land in your hand.
Notre Dame Cathedral has magnificent stained glass windows,
statues,
and doors.
But some people need to trim their eyebrows. This British dude was on my two-hour-long cathedral tour. I missed half of what the tour guide said due to those brows. Do you think he would have been jovial enough to let me braid them into tiny cornrows? Perhaps not, but pondering my chances kept me entertained while everyone else was learning about church history.


Little free churches that you accidentally stumble onto, like Saint Severin's on the Left Bank, can have even prettier stained glass windows than those you pay ten bucks to see, like Sainte Chapelle, which is under repair and thus a few windows shy of its full glory.
Okay, fine. I'll admit it. Sainte Chapelle did have a finer point or two to offer.
The Left Bank area of Paris is fun to walk around in. It has inviting cafes and
a mysterious walled-in courtyard, which intrigued me so much I hope to live there one day. Wait. It could just be a nunnery. It was right beside Saint Severin's. Hmmm. Sister Gleanfreak does have a certain ring, no?
Also, it's chock-a-block full of interesting corners.
Now it is off to bed, as someone is overtired and punchy. Tomorrow we will talk about the Paris flower shops. Bon soir, mon ami.

2 comments:

  1. Paris is a must see. You have posted a variety of pictures for your audience. I can see it, taste it and smell it. Tammy D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you with all the funky food on the menu at dinner: cow's cheek, snails, liver pate, and anchovies. You'd love it.

      Delete