Saturday, March 2, 2013

to Paris and beyond


Lately, I've been thinking about art. I am always looking for beauty and puzzling over what defines it, exactly. Even a bunch of colored pencils sticking out of a jar can captivate me. Why? I can't articulate it, only feel it. I love this quote by the painter Robert Henri:

"It is not desirable to devote all your time to an appreciation of art. Art should drive you forth. It should be an incentive to life. The greatest value of art to the appreciator is in that it stimulates to personal activity."

To me, eyes are beautiful because they lead straight down to the soul and let you connect on that level.



This afternoon, I fly to Paris for ten days. I will be finding beauty and sharing it on my blog. I hope you come along starting Monday. I got this opportunity only because of my buddy, Iris, who has gone to Paris for three weeks to finish her novel. The book will be a hit. I have read the first several chapters. Iris invited me to join her for the last bit. While she writes, I will be wandering the streets hunting for wonder and capturing it inside my camera, Agnes. I hope to write some, too. There is a story I've been stuck on for two years. I can't seem to get it out. It is a true story, mostly not about me. I think that Paris will give me the distance I need to finally write it out so I can move on to other tales.



No comments:

Post a Comment