Sunday, March 24, 2013

on simple pleasures


Yesterday I got to thinking about simple pleasures. The day started out normal enough. QG and I headed to the gym to do the elliptical, weights, then swim like we always do on Saturday, our special day to hang out. 



At the pool, things got weird. Usually, the place is deserted, but not yesterday. First, there was "Scuba Dude" rocking the full mask, fins and breathing tube for his laps in the outside lane. Whatever. Maybe he was training for a dive. Next a 70-ish gentleman comes struttting into pool deck in a tiny flowered Speedo. Not your typical Texas swimwear. Does he jump in and start swimming? Nope. He grabs a kickboard, props it against the corner wall to use as a pillow, and proceeds to flop onto his back and fall asleep spread eagle for all the world to see. Russ and I are like, Huh? He was still snoozing like a baby when we headed to the showers fifteen minutes later. 

The shower is my favorite part of the gym experience. The pool's cold, so thinking about the steaming hot shower to follow is the only thing that gets me through that first chilly plunge. Hot showers are surely one on life's greatest simple pleasures. I could stand in there for hours soaking up the heat. Only not yesterday. Nooooo. For the first time ever, all the gym showers were cold. It was torture. I should have known the universe was off kilter, what with all the strange agents milling about. 



Missing that hot shower made me appreciate it all the more. I realized how much I'd been taking it for granted. Never again. I'll rejoice for every toasty second next Saturday. And for my cup of coffee each morning. And for my soft bed at night. And for my cup of English tea every afternoon. And for my dog, who follows me around all day. And for every little flower I see. Life is awash in tiny pleasures tucked into every corner. It is good to slow down and take the time to truly see.




1 comment:

  1. It's those things you mentioned that so many take for granted and fail to see how wonderful they are. Where is the pool? Do you go to a gym that has one? Is it that Lifetime Fitness on Trinity Mills? mm

    ReplyDelete