Wednesday, March 20, 2013

French lessons



The cool thing about traveling to other countries is that when you get back, you are different. It's not just a matter of visiting, but of learning and picking up good ideas to incorporate into your life.  In France, I watched the women and daily habits most. Here are a couple things I gleaned.


Parisian woman take care of themselves, and are fashionable at every age. I did not see a single obese French woman. If they exist, they are in hiding. I did not see any unkempt nails, or un-made-up faces. Also, these gals keep to a healthy weight and walk a lot. They accessorize with scarves, pins, earrings, and lace and pattered tights. Nobody wears solid tights there, it is all about the funky patterns. According to Iris, their trends hit the U S next, so start stockpiling the lace tights. Also, they wear the most beautiful and interesting wool coats, mostly with several different colors worked into the design. And, of course the shoes are elegant. No sneakers or clodhoppers, even with all that walking. Amazing. I guess they train their feet to withstand abuse from an early age.


Eat what you love, but in small amounts. These folks are all about portion control. I went to Bertholli ice cream shop, and the cones were smaller than child size here, but even most adults only got a single scoop. Also, dinners generally include a tiny dessert, after small portions of each food. How sensible.


Every household needs fresh flowers.






3 comments:

  1. I think they walk a lot because they buy fresh food almost every day and walk to the market. They live in neighborhoods where everything is handy, sometimes even living above a store. It would be silly to drive to stores that are so close, so they walk. That's how it was when I was growing up in Temple. We walked everywhere, and then the mall came and ruined downtown and all the walking -- it was too far away. mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I think the little close-by stores you can walk to everyday for groceries are so much more fun than big stores you have to drive to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are Gorgeous!!!! I changed my name back to LoreH from hannahlaurie (carolyn's daughter here) Mom is here and we are looking at your stuff. I have you on my list of Blogs now and so will be frequenting Gleanfreak :)

    ReplyDelete