Monday, October 8, 2012

flat, still and quiet



I find that even after leaving Hawaii, I'm still carrying the happiness of its beauty around like a little fire lodged within my rib cage. How can this be? I am gone from that place, but the filaments of  its joy are still in me. Such art as this is too mysterious to be explained. 


It is like photographing the sand crab. You have to lie flat, still and quiet beside his hole in the sand for a long, long time just waiting. If you're lucky, the crab will eventually appear and agree to let you take his picture. Your only job is to pay attention. Whether or not you get the shot is entirely up to the crab. 

It is likewise with joy. You can be open, you can sit breathing and hoping, but the instance of joy is still partly magical and cannot be quantified. This is good because it means that joy can never be ruled out. No matter what. You are probably sick of the place, but here are my last few favorite Hawaii pics. I promise to move on to other subjects tomorrow.







4 comments:

  1. I would NEVER get sick of your photos of Hawaii. They are fabulous. mert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Thanks. You need to come visit as soon as your room gets vacated! We need to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday i want to visit Hawaii- your pictures are calling me

    ReplyDelete