Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How to wash a cashmere sweater

Today, grasshopper, I am actually going to tell you something useful. A lot of people think that cashmere sweaters, or wool, or angora, or any other kind for that matter need to be dry cleaned. Not so, my friend. Dry cleaning is inferior because it leaves a chemical smell, it leaves the sweater a bit stiff, and it costs cash money. If I know anything of value in this life, it is how to hand wash a sweater. I learned it at my mother's elbow and thus the technique is practically sacred.

When I was growing, I hardly ever saw my mom. She and my dad divorced when I was a baby, but my uncle hired a bundle-of-light kind of young gal named Connie who took care of and lived with us till I was eleven, as mom was generally busy working or dating priests and gangsters and such in her spare time. She was truly a charming person with plenty of great qualities, notably a twenty year uninterrupted streak of good hair days. She just wasn't super into the mom thing. All that she taught me boils down to these three things: 1)Never leave the  house without lipstick and earrings (her motto), 2)if you have a pretty face, you can wear your hair any way and 3)The hand washing of sweaters is a precise and delicate art. Point three came as an impromptu lesson.

One afternoon when I was in ninth grade, Mom stands in front of me with her hands on her hips and goes, "Come on, I'm going to show you how you wash a good sweater." I guess something about my expression that day screamed, "Teach me about laundry!". Anyhow, I've replayed our lesson many times in my mind, as it is one of my main memories of special time with her. Now, I share my gem with you. That's how special you are. Here's what to do:

First, get some Woolite and possibly a jug of Downy, though the Downy is optional. You will need a good sized sink or bucket, a couple old but clean towels, a hanger and a thin, plastic dry cleaning bag or trash bag.
Second, prepare the hanger by wrapping the plastic bag around it leaving more padding in the shoulder area. Set hanger aside.
Third, fill the sink or bucket with tepid, not hot or cold, water with some Woolite added. Not super sudsy, probably about 1-2 Tablespoons. Gently swish and tumble the sweater in the water so as to clean it for a few minutes. Drain the water, gently squeezing out excess water.

Fourth, fill the sink with tepid water, swoosh sweater, drain sink and repeat. If using Downy, put a teaspoon full or so into the final rinse water. Now gently squeeze out all the water you can, but don't manhandle the thing.
Fifth, place the clean fluffy towel on the floor, lay the sweater flat on it, then roll up and press down section by section to press out water.
action shot
Sixth, unroll. Now toss the sweater into the air a few times to fluff it. Then lay out the next clean towel on a drying rack, or counter and block sweater to regular shape on the towel. Let it lay several hours.
Seventh, when it is just a bit damp, you can hang it on the special hanger. If possible, hang it outside for a few hours in a breezy shady spot to get it lovely smelling. 
Eighth, when completely dry, you may want to fold it so it does not stretch out from hanging for a long time. Enjoy!

PS. For this demo, I washed a perfect cashmere sweater I snagged last week while thrifting with my sisters. I got the sweater for $2.99. Swweeeet! It is too small for me, but will be perfect for my daughter Kelly. 

So, I never got the kind of mom who bought me special gifts, made our house cozy, did crafts, cooked, or liked to be at home. That's life. I did the next best thing and became her. What can I say? Laundry and cooking are curiously fun.

5 comments:

  1. Kim, Mom must have learned that from Memmem because I remember her hand washing sweaters like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. Aaah, tradition. I hope you are carrying the torch as well!

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Kim. Practical, informative, and brought a tear to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have read this before I washed my vintage sweater find. Even on the delicate cycle it got fuzzy. Good old Mom and Memem. Oh the tinge of blue nostalgia brings.

    ReplyDelete