Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hi! You know me.

So, I've been trying to do this good deed all day. I don't say that to brag. The fact is I am an underachiever lately in the good deeds department. I was raised to babysit for free, to tutor my knucklehead cousin for free, and to do whatever else I could to help a broth'a out. Helping is a good thing. But, a couple of years ago, I decided to take a break from volunteering. 

Break over. Now, I am feeling the need to be of service in some small way. So, at church on Sunday, I got a feeling that I should make dinner for this adorable elderly couple in our neighborhood. He is in his mid to late eighties and has been struggling with health challenges. I've chatted with them several times. They kind of know me, but not necessarily by name. You know how that goes. Those familiar faces you find yourself saying hi to repeatedly, but you have no idea who they are exactly. After a certain point, it's too embarrassing to ask. It seems you should already know their name. But you don't. Or is it just me that gets into these jams? Anyhow, the woman is from Pennsylvania, as am I, and that is what we talk about when I see them. 

So, I get this wild hair to make them chicken noodle soup with homemade bread: a simple do-able plan. Today was the day. I called late this morning to try to set up the delivery. The soup already made, the bread in progress. No answer. I walk over to their house and wrap on the door. I'm afraid to ring the bell in case the husband is resting. No answer. I call mid-afternoon. No answer. I figure they may not answer the phone if they don't recognize the name and decide to call again and leave a message. "Hi! You know me. I'm the girl from Pennsylvania who walks her dog on your street when you are doing yard work. I would like to bring you soup and bread for dinner today. Please call me back to set up delivery." I wait all day. No call. 

I call their next-door neighbor, who is their close friend figuring she can get me into the inner sanctum. She calls them. Boom, they answer - just home from a doctors appointment which lasted all afternoon. She advises them I will call soon. She calls me back. I call them. "Hi! You know me. I am the girl from Pennsylvania one street over. Can I bring you over dinner tonight?" 

Cha-ching. "Yes," She says, "and then I'll get to meet you." But you know me, I wanted to say, but didn't. The bread is in the oven. It will be done in fifteen minutes and then I'm heading over. There are few better gifts than bread warm from the oven. Of course, as soon as they see me, they will recognize me. Good deeds, no matter how much red tape they involve, are worth doing.

5 comments:

  1. I hope they recognized you and that homemade soup and bread sounds great!!!! Remember the homemade rolls that Uncle Vic used to make- yummy in my tummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Jamie pic ever. Go Kim, 3 cheers for the gal from Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best pic of Jamie ever. Three cheers for the girl from Pennsylvania, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best pic of Jamie ever. Three cheers for the girl from Pennsylvania, love you.

    ReplyDelete