Sunday, July 22, 2012

a series of gigs


So, I went to my first writer's conference this weekend. Of course, there was that essay contest. Let me put it this way: I will not have to worry about drafting my Pulitzer acceptance speech just yet. When our moderator  handed me his critique on Friday, I instantly knew that I was not going to be among the ten lucky "golden spur" winners the next night. His first line read, "A string of anecdotes is not a personal essay - it's a home movie." Oops. I'd thought all you had to do was spin a good yarn. Apparently, essays need a clear story arc with supportive columns all bolstering a strong central theme.

Oddly, I am cool with non-winning. It has caused me to learn so much. I was a bit deflated at first, but only for about five minutes. Then I got thankful for the positive comments and good advice I'd gotten from all the other writers in my group on how to turn my story into an essay. Actually, make that all but one. One dude had nothing good to say, calling my piece "pretty meaningless to the reader." I like to think that he is troubled by occasional gas. Nothing serious, just your garden variety flatulence.

Ooh, and the conference was excellent. I heard some fantastic speakers and met lots of great folk. I am so much better informed now on how to proceed with my writing and am brimming over with plans. Though, listening to people talk for almost thirty hours straight was intense. I need quiet for at least two days just so my ears can recover. Luckily, I am married to the perfect guy for that.

The thing is, as you go through life, you always want to win because winning says you're good enough. But not winning only means that you get to keep trying; you get to keep learning.

Take parenting: my main gig for twenty-some years. I was all in, so busy schlepping, cooking, chatting, and adventuring, that I barely stopped to take a breath. Then, one day, it was over: My kids had become working adults. I'd won, but that meant the game was done. I had to get a new gig: writing, editing, and taking pictures. I may never win at any of these, but I am all in for the journey.

Life is a series of gigs and we have to roll along. I hope you have found what you love and that you keep on rollin'.

3 comments:

  1. You won at life's most important contest-the kid-rearing! Don't forget to rest on those laurels a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I am oficially resting now. Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an awesome optimist. It's the journey and what a journey it is.
    I love "my ears need to recover". Hooray for silence.

    ReplyDelete