Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Superduper 95 calorie shake recipe

I have been in my laboratory (kitchen) concocting a cool summer treat. This shake is a good low-calorie pick-me-up for that tired time of day, for me about 3:00, or for anytime at all.
One of these babies and you will be energized for hours. The recipe could not be simpler. Throw the following into a blender and blend till it is smooth and creamy:



1 cup crushed ice
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup water, or cold coffee
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons nonfat powdered milk
1 Tablespoon sugar


Note: You can cut 45 calories if you use a noncaloric sweetener, like Splenda. 

When I was growing up, I had a best friend named Betsey. She was a grade ahead of me, and went to a private girl's school where they had to wear plaid skirts.

Anyhow, we'd spend nearly every Saturday together from 4th to 6th grade, when I moved away. I'd bike over to her house with a dollar in my pocket, and we would ride downhill, about fourteen blocks, to Main Street of our town, Oakmont, PA. We'd go to the drug store to spend our money. I'd get a package of giant sweet tarts, and a Tiger Beat magazine. She's get M&M's and a Mad magazine. Then, we'd bike back up the hill and spend the afternoon in her finished basement watching the Saturday Creature Feature, usually something like The Blob, or Godzilla, eating our candy and poring over our precious maggers.

Betsey was a little plump till her older sister Linda decided to make a project out of slimming her down. I'll never forget Linda making Betsey milkshakes like the one above. Linda invented them to keep Betsey from eating ice cream, and it worked. Over several months, Betsey got as trim as Linda. I was in awe of Linda, generally, as she was pretty and popular, but even more so when I saw her inventing shakes for Betsey. She was really kind and encouraging in her efforts, too. I don't know what ever happened to Betsey, though I've tried to Google her. Maybe one day, I will find her again, but this shake recipe reminds me of our Saturdays together and of Linda, the coolest big sister ever (aside from mine).

No comments:

Post a Comment